In December 1906, Captain Rich purchased the property at 110 Elm Street and a month later Chief Engineer Bennett purchased approximately 10 acres with a house and barn across the road at 115 Elm Street (the current address of Cedar Crest Inn). Following the death of Bennett’s wife in 1916, he and his four sons and two daughters moved from Brewer, Maine into their new home on Elm Street. The Camden Inventory and Valuation of Property for 1916, page 97, shows Albert B. Bennett was assessed a real estate tax of $26 for his property at 115 Elm Street. The location was a quiet spot on the crest of Chestnut Street hill and the road had no continuation beyond this point.
Two years later in 1918, during the period when the second Lyndonia was being built, Bennett built the first of several small camp buildings. This was the beginning of Cedar Crest Camp. A post card to advertise his new business had the words CEDAR CREST OVERNIGHT CAMP faintly visible and on the back was written; “Camp No. 2, one room, four windows, two beds”.
In the spring of 1929, Bennett expanded Cedar Crest Cabins by building five new cabins, according to William’s History of Camden, page 449. A large cabin in the foreground had a screened-in porch. There was an outside water faucet for the largest cabin and all of the cabins faced northeast with a view of Mt. Battie and Mt. Megunticook. Another post card from the late 1920s shared by a patron of the Cedar Crest Restaurant, depicts the name Cedar Crest Cabins and features the driveway leading to the “old office”. At the right of the driveway was the sign, CEDAR CREST OVERNIGHT CABINS and on the left side was a miniature figure of a man holding a GO SLOW sign. The same patron also brought by an old photograph of Albert B. Bennett standing next to his “new office”. At this time Bennett had retired as Chief Engineer of the Lyndonia but the dark trousers, brass buckle and white shirt were all part of his ship uniform.
Cedar Crest Overnight Cabins were open from May 1 to November 1. According to local post card notations from the 1920s and 1930s, the cabins had Electric Lights and a Community Kitchen so several parties could use the same kitchen. Also noted was a 3-digit phone number for contact information. Albert B. Bennett died in 1948 at the age of 78, and at the time of his death, was planning on opening Cedar Crest cabins for another year. A 1949 survey of the Bennett property shows there were 9.4 acres, a house, barn and eight cabins.
In 1949, Roger Brooks Converse and his wife, Phyllis K. Converse purchased Cedar Crest Cabins and Guest House following his military service from the Bennett estate. Over the following thirty-one years, Mr. and Mrs. Converse remodeled and expanded the business, which became Cedar Crest Motel, a familair Camden landmark during these years. After her husband died in 1980, she sold the motel to her only daughter, Gypsie Underhill, wife of George Underhill and it grew to be known as the Cedar Crest Motel and Coffee Shop. The motel has always been well known for quality, affordable accommodations and housed a wonderfully inviting coffee shop located in the lower level of the first building. The coffee shop served thousands upon thousands of some of the finest home cooked breakfasts in eastern Maine. A local short-order cook named Rose, was a fixture in the coffee shop for many years wielding her kitchen tools with impeccable timing and flare. Many long-time, regular guests who stay at Cedar Crest Motel each year still speak of Rose with fondness. The entertainment she provided for patrons as they ate their morning meals left them with an everlasting experience.
The partnerships of two local families, the Hahns and the Libertys, purchased the Cedar Crest Motel in the spring of 2000, and have operated it since that time. They have a strong commitment to guest service and to that end, have completed renovations and improvements since the purchase. The restaurant was moved from the basement of Building 1 to the rear of the office in the original Bennet home in 2001. The restaurant expanded again in 2002 serving spirits, fresh seafood platters and live jazz plays every Friday evening. The expansions have proven very successful and the restaurant now serves many wonderful patrons, and both local and traveling guests. In 2008 the name was changed to Cedar Crest Inn because the rooms are more reminiscent of a New England inn than a chain motel type room. At the same time, the restaurant gained its own identity by becoming Elm Street Grille. In 2009 many bathrooms and bedrooms were renovated, and in 2011 the cabins received a face lift including new microwaves to compliment the existing mini refrigerators, fine wood flooring, oriental rugs, loomed cotton, Maine bedspreads, new wallpaper and a fresh coat of paint for all the woodwork. Upgrading will continue with great effort each upcoming season. These improvements will help continue to maintain a guest friendly, family oriented environment.